Thursday, April 21, 2005

A mathematical explanation to the difference between bad and good music

I have always wondered why me trying to play the mirdangam(Indian drums) with my friend who was playing the bongos never added up to good music. When I thought about how I could make our duo presentable two things that came to mind were the rythm and beats. I noticed that if both me and he play in the same rythm it drags and well if we change up the rythm and he plays slow and I play fast then our duo sounds good. But well this would require a sense of synchronization otherwise the music would not be pleasant to hear. I realised this has to do with the patterns formed by the two frequencies generated by my mirdangam and his bongos. Unless our sounds show a pattern it will not be pleasing to the ears. The human brain is a cognitive system which responds to patterns and most human knowledge other than the basic animal instincts is acquired. This is also why some people like a certain kind of music and others like a different kind. Each person's brain acquires a sense of pattern that the ear relishes as consonant and another that the ear despises as dissonant.

Is this true and if so is this also the reason why some colours are pleasing to our eyes and others are jarring? One of the erudites reading this could please shed more light on this.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thangamani said...

Good point to think over.

Thanks

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home