Friday, April 21, 2006

My rants on the final day of Indian Idol 2

I am happy that reality-based shows are gaining recognition as a platform to give that shred of hope to hitherto-unknown faces to prove their mettle. The final day of one such reality show, Indian Idol, is upon us. The stage is set and time is running out to vote for the right person. The two guys in the running, N.C. karunya and Sandeep Acharya, are both extremely talented from different viewpoints.
Karunya, with his mellifluous voice, is a very versatile and talented singer with a carnatic music background. Sandeep is more eye candy with a very sweet sounding voice but an average at best singing talent.

The viewership (I mean people who can vote) for the show is mostly from the northern and western parts of the country. I know for a fact that Indian idol is known merely to a small fraction of people in Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore. My mom who watches hindi soaps in chennai did not know about Indian idol. Thats how sad the viewership of the program is in the south. The program is also mostly viewed by women. I asked 50 of my friends (72% tamil speaking, 27% hindi speaking, 1% telugu speaking) of which only 11 had heard of the programme and 8 of them were women.

This explains several outcomes of this show that has puzzled me:

1) The lack of any of the female contestants in the final four (THEY WERE TALENTED).

2) Sandeep voted ahead of Meenal, Amey, Anuj, Antara and Monali. I thought they were all phenomenal singers.

3) Karunya being in the bottom three/two on 7 of the 10 galas. Karunya's performance in every gaala has been mind blowing. The only person in his league or some might say ahead of him was Amey. It was very sad to lose him.

4) Amey being third in the Piano round when I thought his 'Tu Hi re' performance was flawless (Suprising).

The past several weeks have seen verbal bashing by many viewers stating Karunya has been whining about lack of regional votes as many in the south do not watch hindi channels. Before I tackle the question about why people don't watch hindi channels down south I would direct the readers' attention to the following article... http://indiaimage.nic.in/languages.htm.

Is hindi, the language in which the programme is held, required to be known for someone to qualify himself or herself as a Indian??????

The problem of wether everyone in India should know hindi is a big one which is more categorically dealt with by my friend Ashok.

Anyway what Karunya claims is a genuine problem faced by any south indian (hemachandra in SRGMP 2006) in these reality shows held in India in the so called national language (Hindi).

Though for my part I have been sending out messages to family and friends to vote for this talented youngster (YES he is only 19), I think Sandeep will walk away with the title. For me Karunya is a talent to look out for in the future and whatever be the result of this program will not fade away.

ps: S.P.B. praised Karunya for his rendition of ragam sivarnagini when he was 12 years old in chiru ragamallika in a telugu channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home