Sunday, June 12, 2005

Science and Scientists in India

Today morning as I was sipping my morning coffee I read this article on Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1138395.cms

In the first place I question the numbers presented in this article. Are they really true? If so then it is very sad to see a country which produces a bastion of engineers and scientists in the world market is itself dearth in these areas. I am guilty myself so many might argue my commenting on this article is inappropriate. On hind side I would like to stress on my previous statement that Indians are widespread all over the world shedding light on some of the less known names in the field of science (My list will be naturally biased towards electrical engineering)
1. Shankar Sastry - http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/%7Esastry/
A pioneer in the field of robotics and nonlinear dynamics

2. Professor Vivek Subramanian - http://www.coe.berkeley.edu/engnews/fall02/2f/subramanian.html
A brilliant young scientist who is currently developing a printer and electronic ink for smart tags at UC Berkeley.

3. Harsh Azad, Rohit Gaddi, Achal Rastogi, Geetanjali Bahuguna, Ashutosh Upadhyay who were awarded $ 400,000 for their brilliant programming software based on oracle backend. Read all about it in Rediff’s http://us.rediff.com/money/2005/may/18ca.htm.

4. Dr. Raja Ramanna. An atomic energy expert

5. S. R. Ranganathan (1892- 1972) A great librarian and educator, Ranganathan introduced many mathematical concepts in information organization

6. Sister Nivedita Margaret Elizabeth Noble, who later came to be known as Sister Nivedita, worked on women’s rights along with swami Vivekananda.

7. Sir Asutosh Mukherjee - Asutosh Mukherjee was the most dynamic figure in Indian education and its true builder to whom the country will always remain indebted.

8. Prafulla Chandra Roy - The father of modern Indian Chemical industry, P.C.Roy helped to build a new Bengal with a bright future.

9. http://in.rediff.com/money/2004/nov/16mit.htm.

The list is long but it was my aim to point out few luminaries I have not heard of before and whom I felt obliged to mention.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thangamani said...

Interesting and informative link Arun. The numbers related to publications are correct I think.

10:44 PM  
Blogger ArunGanga said...

Thanks for your comments didi and thangamani. I will update you with a list of very good publications in my field from india

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home